Chief Executive Officer
Shortlisting stage of vacancy - only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
To manage the operations of the Commission in accordance with directives of the Board and provisions of the Botswana Meat Commission (BMC) Act to maximize profitability, yield on investment and optimize returns to producers and the Government.
The Chief Executive Officer is appointed b the President of Botswana and is answerable to the board of the Commissioners and the Government of Botswana for the successful operation of the business.
The BMC is owned cooperatively by livestock producers and managed as a parastatal organisation.
1. Provide strategic direction and run BMC as a successful business
- Ensure BMC plays a pivotal role in the livestock industry in Botswana by providing compliant facilities for processing of cattle and small stock
- Optimise returns to producers by marketing products throughout the world to maximise profitability
- Ensures BMC operates as the largest livestock industry commercial business in the country
- Ensures BMC remains a major international player and meat trador through its subsidiaries and associated companies in South Africa and Europe
- Maximises returns on investment and recommends expansions into new areas and markets in order to ensure long term competitiveness of the organsiation
2. Ensure compliance with statutory and regulatory responsibilities
- Ensures BMC long term success by ensuring Commission remains competitive in the international environment through its ability to deliver high quality product at the right time and price to consumers around the world
- To assure existence of structures to supply livestock timely and of the right quality
3. Manage producers & establish structures to strengthen links between BMC & the key producers
- Work with the industry to improve and develop farming methods which will improve off-take and the quality of the livestock
- Optimise returns to livestock producers and Government
4. Provide leadership within the Commission
- Hold Executive management accountable for the successful running of their areas of operation in Livestock procurement, Financial management, Production, Compliance and human capital
- Degree level qualification. Possession of post graduate qualification will be an added advantage
- At least ten years management experience at a senior level
- Experience in commercial sector
- Knowledge of food processing and manufacturing industry will be an added advantage
Skills and Competencies
- Communication skills
- Negotiating skills
- Results oriented
- Stakeholder and Relationship management
- Influential skills
- People management and leadership skills
Closing date for applications is 8 June 2018
As an essential part of the national economy of Botswana since independence, the Botswana Meat Commission (BMC) has made a significant contribution to the development of the country over the years and currently operates one of the largest export abattoirs in Africa, exporting beef regionally to the African market and internationally in European, Asian and Middle Eastern Markets. Constant monitoring by the Botswana Veterinary Services allows the BMC, which is certified to the ISO 9002 quality system throughout its process, to maintain its high standard of production.
Head Office (Lobatse)