Legal Services Officer
Shortlisting stage of vacancy - only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Overview of role
To provide legal advice on matters of interpretation and application of all areas of the law. To ensure good corporate governance and give input and support on regulatory issues.
- To ensure that the Fund at all times acts lawfully.
- Provide legal opinions that are sound and practical.
- Give accurate and timely counsel to executives on any legal topic that arises.
- To ensure that the Fund executes its responsibilities to its members.
- To ensure that the practices of the Fund comply with commercial law and that agreements are clear and favourable to the Fund.
- To draft and review agreements and assist in the negotiation thereof.
- To effectively identify, articulate and/or manage the legal risks associated with proposed transactions, projects, and activities that the internal departments intend to take.
- Ensure the Fund’s position is managed effectively in all situations in which legal disputes or regulatory issues are likely to arise.
- Reduce exposure to the financial and reputational cost of adverse legal liability.
Requirements, Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Laws Degree
- Admission as an Attorney and member of the Law Society of Botswana
- 3 years post-qualification experience within a legal environment
- In-depth understanding of the industry and commercial practices
- Ability to interpret relevant legislation and apply it to particular situations
- Ability to negotiate and draft legal documents
- Ability to deal with pressure situations
- Ability to manage and engage strategically with internal and external stakeholders
- Communication skills
- Knowledge of dispute resolution mechanisms and civil procedure
- Business acumen
- Critical reasoning
- Attention to detail
- Strong ethics and integrity
- Teamwork and collaboration
Closing date for applications is 07 March 2019